Board Receives Redistricting Recommendation
At press time, the Board of Education had received a recommendation from the redistricting advisory committee to reduce crowding in the elementary schools and develop boundaries for the new Dr. Henry Givens Jr. School. It won’t vote until it meets in March. The recommended boundaries most closely resemble those in Scenario 2 that the community reviewed through a series of focus groups, survey and open houses. It balances utilization of the schools, minimizes travel distance for students and eliminates most of the occasions for children to cross major thoroughfares. The board had the opportunity to discuss the proposal. You can see a map showing the new boundaries by clicking the Proposition E icon on the district home page, then choosing Elementary Redistricting Details from the left side of the page. Click on the Feb. 24 board presentation on the page that opens.
The board also heard a presentation on implementation of the redistricting.
2020-21 School Year
- Any student enrolled in a district elementary school during the 2020-21 school year will be permitted to remain at that school through 5th grade, if the family chooses.
- During the 2020-21 school year, intra-district transfers will still be allowed under the current district guidelines, the children of non-resident staff members will be placed in an elementary school under the current district guidelines, and Dr. Henry Givens Jr. Elementary will still utilize the lottery process in its final year as a choice-based school.
- For the 2020-21 school year, kindergarten students whose families are zoned for Dr. Henry Givens Jr. Elementary in 2021-22 will have the option to attend kindergarten at Givens.
2021-22 School Year
- Any district family can choose to send their child(ren) to the elementary school for which they’re zoned at the start of the 2021-22 school year or any time thereafter.
- Students new to district elementary schools in 2021-22, including siblings of currently enrolled students, will be required to attend the school to which they are zoned in accordance with the revised elementary boundary lines.