The state of Missouri defines gifted children as "those children who exhibit precocious development of mental capacity and learning potential as determined by competent professional evaluation to the extent that continued educational growth and stimulation could best be served by an academic environment beyond that offered through a standard grade level curriculum."
In the WGSD, gifted students have the opportunity to achieve district goals at the level commensurate with their ability. They will also be challenged to apply their knowledge and skills in complex and advanced ways so that they can continue to develop academically. Along with the state’s Show-Me Standards, the Webster Groves School District Gifted and Talented Program Goals include:
- To provide challenging learning experiences beyond the regular curriculum.
- To develop and promote high level thinking and problem solving skills.
- To develop creative expression.
- To provide opportunities to develop self-awareness, autonomy, and self direction.
- To provide opportunities for sharing and exchanging ideas in a supportive environment.
- Students may be nominated at any time during the school year.
- Students will be evaluated in the order their nomination is received.
- To honor the prior policy that allowed two parent/guardian nominations for a student, and if a student was nominated by a parent/guardian prior to the 2019-2020 school year, a second parent/guardian nomination will be accepted until the end of the 2020-2021 school year. If a student is nominated a second time for the academic gifted program, there must be at least a one year lapse before the student is evaluated again.
- If a student is selected to participate in both the Gifted Fine Arts Program and the Gifted and Talented Program, concurrent participation in both programs will be made on a case by case decision with the school’s problem solving team including the parent/guardian.
- Due to COVID-19 county and district guidelines, the Gifted Evaluation Process may change without prior notice.
The Webster Groves School District community is committed to academic and personal success for every student.
Belief in oneself and knowing who you are, I mean, that's the foundation for everything great.