Graduation Instructions for Students
Dear Class of 2022 and Friends:
Graduation is a time of happy reflections and of looking to the future with eager anticipation for our seniors. All of us—students, parents, and staff want the graduation ceremony to be a pleasant, dignified occasion. In order to accomplish this, we need your cooperation. Please consider the following:
- Carefully follow the enclosed directions related to graduation rehearsal and participation for graduation.
- The ceremony will begin promptly at 6:30 p. m. on May 24 at Chaifetz Arena. Doors open for guests at 5:30 p.m. Seniors must arrive for practice NO LATER than 4:45 p.m.
- A professional photographer will take a picture of each graduate as he/she receives his/her diploma. If you wish, you may purchase these pictures. Since the picture of each graduate is being taken, no one will be allowed in the area where the graduates are seated during the ceremony. If parents wish to take additional pictures of the students accepting their diplomas, Dr. Simpson and I will be available after the ceremony to assist in making individual presentations. See instructions for ordering from Inter-State Studios on the attached page.
- In the effort to permit all students' names to be heard; we discourage any loud cheering of any individual that lasts more than a few seconds.
- After the ceremony, there will be no recessional. Graduates will return to the Practice Gym, and families will exit Gates A, B, and C. Please make a plan to meet with your family outside.
- With a desire to make all of our guests feel welcome, ADA seating is available at each gate of entry.
We would like to remind you that although we are not distributing any graduation tickets, we ask that you limit your guests to eight (8). If you need to accommodate more than eight guests, please contact Mickey Erb at the number below. If you have any questions about graduation please call Mickey Erb at 918-4123.
Dr. Matt Irvin
Graduation Photo Order Information
Here is a link to the shoot proof Gallery for your Graduation photos
- Click on the link to pre-register
After entering your email address it will say " REGISTRATION THANK YOU."
Within a week after we photograph your event, you will receive an email that says your gallery is LIVE (This is when the photos will be available for purchase).
- Follow that link to log in.
- Enter your email address with the Password: statesmen.
- Then you will be able to view your students' images to purchase.
WGHS Graduation Instructions
May 24, 2022
The major purpose of the graduation ceremony is to award diplomas to deserving students and honor the achievements of the members of the Class of 2022. Even more, it serves to bring closure to a student’s high school career, and it gives families and friends a chance to share in a special event for the graduates. You are to be congratulated for each and every personal victory! Listed below are guidelines to follow to make your graduation ceremony as meaningful as possible.
- Please arrive at Chaifetz no later than 4:45 p.m as we are practicing before the ceremony! (If possible, carpool to save parking spots for your families.) You are not allowed to bring balloons into Chaifetz and valuables should be left at home.
- Please find your assigned, alphabetical seat in the Practice Gym. Students are divided into two sides: those whose last name begins A-K and those whose last name begins with L-Z.
- You will line up at 6:10 for the processional. Please be quiet as Dr. Irvin welcomes everyone and asks the band to play the National Anthem. The band will get the signal to begin the processional. There will be staff along the route to help you move smoothly into the main arena and to your seat. (Don’t rush the pace, so you give your family and friends a chance to see you.)
- When you get to your seat, remain standing until directed so all sit in unison.
- After speakers, Dr. Irvin presents the Class of 2022 to the Board President, who accepts the class.
- An administrator will dismiss rows A-K individually and leads you to the stage. We will dismiss rows L-Z. similarity. As your name is called, an administrator will greet you and send you across the stage to receive your diploma cover from a Board member. Take the diploma with your left hand and shake with your right. An administrator will guide you off the stage.
- Return to your row and stay standing until the last person in the row arrives. Then be seated.
- After all students are back to seats, Dr. Irvin declares you the Graduating Class of 2022. Turn your tassel from right to left. YOU MAY THROW YOUR HAT NOW (if you want to)! DON’T LOOK UP!
- There will be no recessional. Please go directly to practice gym to pick up your diploma.
- YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DECORATE YOUR CAPS.
- Please ask parents not to come forward to take your picture during graduation. A professional photographer will be on hand to take your picture as you receive your diploma and as you exit the stage.
- Please don’t chew gum once the processional begins.
- Graduates should wear clothing appropriate for this special occasion: collared shirts, slacks, skirts/dresses, and appropriate shoes. Wearing shorts under the gown is not appropriate. No flip flops are allowed.
- All graduates are expected to conduct themselves with dignity in the manner befitting this occasion. Participation in the graduation ceremony is not compulsory. Any graduate who misbehaves, or who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or any other intoxicating substances, will not be permitted to participate in the commencement exercise. No signs are allowed on your caps and disruptive behavior during the ceremony will result in your immediate removal.
- Please go to the Olive/Compton Garage for parking. ADA Parking is available in the Olive/Compton Garage. Designated drop-off / pick-up area for ADA guests is located on Compton Ave. moving south, which is located on the east side of Chaifetz Arena. This drop off area is located near Gate C.
- The After Graduation Party/lock-in begins at 10:30 pm on 5/24 at WGHS. You should have received information from the Parents’ Club about this event.
Directions to Chaifetz
Chaifetz Arena is Located on the northwest corner of Compton Ave. and Forest Park Parkway I Market St. The address to Chaifetz Arena is #1 S. Compton Ave, St. Louis, MO 63103. Students and Parents can use the parking Lot at the corner of Olive and Compton to park for graduation.
ADA Parking is available in the Olive/Compton Garage.
Designated drop-off /pick-up area is Located on Compton Ave. moving south, which is Located on the east side of Chaifetz Arena.
From the West - Take 1-64 east to the Market Street exit (37 A) and turn Left onto Compton Ave - North (will be a Left turn on the off ramp). Proceed north on Compton and parking is available at the corner of Olive and Compton.
From the North- Take 1-70 to the Grand Boulevard exit. If you are coming from the west, you will make a right, going south on Grand. If you are coming from the east, you will make a Left to go south on Grand. Take Grand Boulevard to Lindell and make a Left. Parking is available at the corner of Olive and Compton.
From the South - Take 1-55 to the 1-44 exit (this exit is on the Left and merges into the Left side of 1-44). You will need to move to the right Lane shortly after and take the Grand Boulevard exit. At the stop sign, you take a Left before arriving at Grand where you will make a right, heading north on Grand. Take Grand to Choteau Avenue and make a right on Choteau. Take Choteau to Compton Avenue and make a Left onto Compton and proceed north. Parking is available at the southwest corner of Olive and Compton.
From the Southwest- Take 1-44 east to the Grand Boulevard exit. Make a Left heading north on Grand. Take Grand to Choteau Avenue and make a right on Choteau. Take Choteau to Compton Avenue and make a Left onto Compton and proceed north. Parking is available at the southwest corner of Olive and Compton.
From the East (Illinois) - 1-64 (heading west) and 1-55 (heading south) merge to cross the Mississippi River at the Poplar Street Bridge. Continue west on 1-64 to the Market St. 3000 West exit. Turn Left (west) onto Market St. and immediately get in the right hand Lane. Turn right onto Compton Ave., and parking is available at the corner of Olive and Compton.
For additional parking details visit the parking section of the Chaifetz website at: http://www.thechaifetzarena.com/directions