NATIONAL BOARD CERTIFICATION
What is National Board Certification?
National Board Certification (NBC) is an advanced teaching credential and challenging professional development experience offered by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS).
An eligible candidate must have:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution;
- Have a minimum of three (3) years of teaching or school counseling experience K – 12.
- A valid teaching license or a license to practice as a school counselor
What is the assessment process based on?
The NBPTS has five core propositions that guide the development of standards for each of the certification areas. Those core propositions are:
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Teachers are members of learning communities.
Why do teachers seek National Board Certification?
Although rigorous, this process is thought provoking, causing teachers to reflect upon how they engage their students in learning and how they constantly improve their teaching skills. The process strengthens both the teaching profession and individual practice.
For more information, visit:
DESE National Board Certification
MNEA National Board Certification Assistance
The district recognizes the value of National Board Certified staff by offering an additional $3,000 stipend annually.
To apply for the National Board Certification stipend, please follow these steps:
- In order to initiate the $3,000 stipend, submit the National Board Certification Verification Form to the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources by May 15th.
- Forward a copy of a valid National Board Certificate by August 31st to the Human Resources Office.
- Resubmit a valid certificate every five (5) years to the Human Resources Office with the National Board Certification Verification Form.