Known originally as the Webster School, Bristol School opened in 1869. As the school grew in its early years, it had to rent space in three other buildings in town, including the Congregational Church.
The school was named for Dr. Bennett J. Bristol in 1916, a physician and long-time member of the District Board of Education. Wings for the original frame building on Gray Avenue were built in 1909 and 1913. In 1920, the district moved the frame building toward the rear of the school grounds and began constructing the central part of the building, connecting the wings.
A new multipurpose room was added in 2008 and the old gymnasium was renovated for a new library, office, and classroom space. In 2021 work was completed on a new accessible entrance and elevator addition as a part of work associated with WGSD's Proposition E.
Bristol Elementary is known for its strong staff and programs, its high level of family involvement, and a nurturing environment that celebrates the uniqueness of each child. Differentiated instruction and interventions help all students succeed. We work to demonstrate our core values each day: Be respectful, be responsible, be safe, and be supportive.
The Bristol community is dedicated to celebrating children and providing a foundation for life-long learning.