Hixson Middle School, named for James T. Hixson, long-time Webster Groves High School principal, opened in September 1955 as a junior high with 725 students in grades 7 through 9. The building sits on 20 acres of land, which also includes Moss Field. The cost of building was $1.6 million. Conversion to a middle school began in 1988. The change was gradual, and extended over a period of years.
Following the middle school philosophy of providing an environment that is inviting, safe, enclusive, and supporting for all, students are individually placed on grade-level teams. Students are able to choose from a wide range of elective classes, including foreign language, fine arts, family and consumer science, and industial technology.
Hixson has been recognized by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for student performance, including the prestigious Gold Star honor. Hixson received a Bronze Award for its use of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support. Hixson staff has fully implemented a 1:1 technology initiative.
From 2021, sixth grade students have attended Hixson, along with seventh and eighth graders. Thanks to the Proposition E bond issue, Hixson expanded with a new academic wing, enlarged cafeteria and new main entrance on South Elm Avenue.