Please note the following Academic Gifted and Gifted Fine Arts (GFA) updates for the start of the school year:
Students that qualify for gifted services AND have withdrawn are eligible to still receive gifted services, per DESE guidelines. This is also applicable for gifted students that reside in the district and attend a private school or are homeschooled.
All gifted testing is on hold. Exact dates for the CogAT universal screening for 2nd grade will be determined and announced during the fall semester.
Academic Gifted (Project Plus)
- All 3rd-5th GT students (responsive & virtual) will have class with their building gifted specialist for the 1st quarter.
- 3rd-6th classes will begin the week of August 31. During the first week of school, gifted specialists will:
- Set a time with teachers to pop into each classroom and introduce themselves to students.
- Meet with each of their gifted identified students for 5-7min to check in with them (one-on-one or pairs). This will occur during their asynchronous block.
- Complete curriculum planning .
- 3rd-5th students are not responsible for classroom work that may be missed on their days of Project Plus.
- Gifted specialists will have their own Zoom links for students to access
- Project Plus classes will begin at 8:20am after students have had their class community meeting with their classroom teacher.
Gifted Fine Arts (GFA)
- Shannon Marks and Des Reichold will teach GFA for grades 3rd-8th
- 6th-8th GFA class will begin the week of Aug. 24
- 3rd-5th GFA class will begin the week of Aug. 31
- GFA classes will have their own Zoom links for students to access
Several recommendations resulted from the Gifted and Talented program evaluation last school year. The final evaluation was presented at the May 13, 2019 Board of Education meeting and is available to view below on this page. The FAQ tab also provides information about gifted programming.
These are just some of the changes:
- Gifted services will be for students in 2nd-12th grade.
- Current 1st grade students will not take a screening in the 2019-2020 school year. Their first screening will be during the 2020-2021 school year when they are in 2nd grade.
- There will no longer be a universal screening in 1st grade.
- Current 2nd grade students took the NNAT3 screening when they were in 1st grade and will not take the CogAT screening this school year. They will take the CogAT screening when they are in 4th grade (2021-2022 school year).
- Current 4th grade students will take the CogAT screening this October 2019.
- Gifted specialists will continue to do push-in lessons:
- Kindergarten: 2-3 lessons in spring 2020
- First Grade: 2-3 lessons beginning fall 2020
- Second Grade: 2 lessons beginning fall 2020 and prior to all 2nd graders taking the CogAT screening
- Fourth Grade: 2 lessons beginning fall 2019 and prior to all 4th graders taking the CogAT screening in October 2019.
- There will be no new Wings students identified for the 2019-2020 school year. 2nd-4th graders currently in the program will remain in the program until the end of their 5th grade year. Current 5th and 6th graders in Wings will remain in the program until the end of their 6th grade year.
- The current Wings program will transition to a K-5 Enrichment for All Students focused on coding/STEAM. This will be implemented during the 2020-21 school year.
- There will be an internal screening at 6th and 8th grade using the NWEA and looking at student performance at the 95% to determine further screening.
- A minimum score of 96th percentile on the Weschler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC-V) or IQ test is required before proceeding with a full gifted evaluation. The four components of the Academic Gifted and Talented identification process consists of:
- General Mental Ability Measurement (WISC-V)
- Achievement Score
- Behavior Rating Scale
- Creativity Test
- With 4 internal screenings of all students (in 2nd, 4th, 6th & 8th grade), there will be a limit of 1 parent/guardian nomination.
- GFA will be taught by Shannon Marks and Des Reichold and held at Hudson Elementary on Monday mornings beginning August 26.