What is the Edgar Road School Equity Parents Group?
In early 2017, several parents came together to support equity initiatives at ERS to ensure that all students feel connected and represented in our school. We’ve worked toward a number of goals, including:
- Improved student access to books representing a variety of ethnicities through the Eye See Me book fairs
- Offered moderated parent/teacher conversations about racial identity through the YWCA’s Witnessing Whiteness program
- Improved engagement and participation in extracurricular activities to deepen cross-cultural relationships
- Provided multicultural crayons and colored pencils to all classrooms
- Promoted community and school district events which foster diversity and inclusion, including an annual Family Reading Night
- Installed the Cbabi Bayoc mural “You Can Be Anything” to ensure the hallways are welcoming and representative of the student body
- Encouraged teachers to incorporate multicultural lessons, books, or projects into their classrooms
We’re proud to have the support of Dr. Wuch and the PTO; work with Jaguars for Justice, the teacher group; and actively play a role in Webster Equity Bridge discussions. If these goals interest you or if you are looking for a safe space to learn about race in education, we’d love for you to join us at a meeting or on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1505823419437298/ For more information, please contact us at ERS.Equity@gmail.com.