Known in its early years as Tuxedo School, the building was named for the Avery family in 1916. The Averys were early settlers in the community, and it is likely that the school sits on what used to be part of the Avery farm.
Avery is noted for its strong community support, high level of parent involvement, high-quality reading and writing instruction, before- and after-school clubs, and variety of learning style options. Avery, a Missouri Gold Star school, is very proud of its excellent staff and its students' high level of academic achievement.
Avery was named a Missouri Exemplary Professional Learning Communities School in 2017. It has also received a Bronze Award for its use of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support.