- WGHS Home
JANUARY 10, THURSDAY - TODAY IS A DAY 3
THURSDAY, JANUARY 10 – TODAY IS A DAY 3
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
If you would like to attend one of these sessions, please see the counseling office for a pass.
Do you like to sing? The choral department will be holding auditions tomorrow (Friday, January 11th) before, during, and after school for next years Chamber Choir. The audition packet and sign-up can be found outside Mr. Havis’ room 185.
The Winter Dance is on Saturday, January 26 from 7:00-9:30 in Roberts Gym. Tickets will go on sale for $10.00 beginning next Monday, January 14 before school, during both lunches and after school in the activities office. All fines/fees must be paid in order to purchase a ticket. There is no limit of outside guests; however, any non WGHS student must complete an outside guest form.
Become a Future Leader – PACER – informational meeting! If you missed the meeting this morning there is another meeting today from 2:40 – 3:00 in the auditorium.
The Tutoring Center will be open for 2nd semester beginning January 14. We offer help in all subjects. Students can visit during their Academic Lab hour or schedule after-school sessions.
Bus passes for 3rd quarter are available in the main office.
Attention writers! The 2019 All Write Jonathan Franzen writing contest is now open! The All Write committee is looking for original writing submissions in any genre or form, including drama, screenplays, essays, short stories, poetry, speeches, articles, and blog entries. Semifinalists will be chosen to present their pieces onstage at this year’s festival, and the ultimate contest winner will receive $100. To enter, join the All Write Google Classroom page with the code a-w-u-z-d-i-c and follow the instructions. Questions? Ask your English teacher.
Seniors, cap and gown orders are due by February 18th. If you are attending graduation and planning on walking, please make sure you have submitted your order and payment of $29 to Ms. Cotner at the main office. If you have any questions, please see her.
CLUB / STUCO MEETINGS
- Video Game Club meets on Monday’s in room 395 from 2:45-4:00.
- There’s an interest meeting for the Yearbook Photography Club, Monday 1/14 at 2:45 in the Yearbook Room, Room 334E. Beginners are welcome!
- Pep Club meets on Tuesdays, 7:25 a.m., in room 276.
- The Vegetarian and Vegan Club meets every Tuesday at 7:30am in room 380.
- Art club will meet Tuesdays from 2:35-4pm in room 190.
- Scholar Bowl practice Tuesday afternoon starting at 2:45 in room 200 Chelsea Center.
- Tri-M will have a meeting tomorrow (Tuesday, Jan. 8th) before school at 7:15 and after school at 2:45 in the orchestra room.
- Chess Club meets on Wednesday after school in room 356.
- Happy New Year – come join us at the first Student Council meeting of 2019 this Wed before and after school in the PV Commons – new members welcome!
- Student Council meets every other Wednesday before and after school in the PV Commons, (next meeting is January 9th).
- Student Council class meetings take place every other Wednesday after school @ 2:45pm (next meeting is January 16th):
Freshmen meet in the Guidance Center (Verstraete’s office)
Sophomores meet in room 251 (Rutz’s room)
Juniors meet in 217 (Pott’s room)
Seniors meet in FACS room (Maedge’s room)
- History Club will meets every Thursday morning at 7:25 in Chelsea Center room 200.
- Anime Club is cancelled for today!! (Anime Club meets every Thursday after school until 3:30pm in the PD Room by Jr Entrance.)
- Scholar Bowl practice Thursday afternoon starting at 2:45 in room 200 Chelsea Center.
- The Mindful Eating Club meets on Thursday’s after school from 2:40-3:15 in room 206.
- Tea club meets Friday morning in 272. All are welcome.
- Economics Club meets every Friday after school in room 357. Come to find out about our stock market challenge.
TODAY’S ATHLETIC EVENTS:
Boys Basketball (JV vs. Trinity Catholic HS, 4:15 Auxiliary Gym) (FR @ Oakville’s tournament, 4:30 vs. Clayton) (Varsity @ Smith-Cotton’s McDonald’s Classic, Sedalia, MO 7:30)
Girls Swim @ Rockwood Summit’s Nancy Brandt Invitational
YESTERDAY’S REPORTED RESULTS:
Wrestling at Fox
JV boys basketball vs. Desmet
Girls Swimming/Diving at Rockwood Summit
It’s time for the Webster Challenge College Bus Tour. This year we will be traveling with Kirkwood High School to Washington D.C. March 14th -20th to visit colleges and universities along with visiting historical sites. If you would like more information regarding this college bus tour, please stop by office 157. Please know that space is limited.
For those students that would like A Plus tutoring hours, Hixon Middle School needs tutors from 3:25-4:15 Tuesdays, Weds and Thursdays. Please go to Office 157 for more information.
Earl Collins Foundation/Kiwanis Scholarship. Due date 1/15/19
Quest for Education Scholarship/Vantage Credit Union. Due date 1/18/19
National Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship (2 offerings). Due 1/25/19
Greater St. Lois Mothers of Twins Club, Inc. Scholarship. Due 2/15/19
DAR…Daughters of the American Revolution. Due 2/15/19
ACF (American College Foundation Visionary Scholarship. Due 5/1/19
James & Nellie M. Westlake Scholarship Program is offering opportunities to apply. Due date is 2/1/2019. For more info visit https://www.sms.scholarshipapply.org/westlake.
The Jack Holley MUSIC Scholarship (MO United School Insurance Council) is available. One applicant from each high school is chosen. Due date is 2/22/2019. See Mrs. Cashel for more information. (www.musicprogram.org).
NUCOR Foundations Scholarship is available to students studying engineering or metallurgy. This is a great/generous opportunity for the right student. Due date is 3/1/2019. https://scholarshipapply.nucor.com.
Marcus Theatres: Be part of the experience, now hiring, seasonal and long-term positions available – cooks, servers, assistant managers, theatre associates – become a star with Marcus Theatres and create magical experiences for our guests! Apply today: text “makeitmarcus” to 39492 or go to marcuscareers.com/DesPeres.
Concord Animal Hospital
Tuesday and Wednesday, 3-5
Every other Saturday, 7:30am - 12:00pm
For more information, call 314-843-9055
Monmouth College offers summer opportunities for rising juniors and seniors on their campus in Monmouth, IL. Dates of the Scholars Academy at Monmouth are June 16-28, 2019. If interested in this chance to experience life on a college campus, studying new and interesting classes, see your counselor.
Need help staying warm? Think summer! WGSD summer programming will run from May 30 through July 3, 2019. More information about elementary, Adventure Club, middle school and high school offerings will be available late January/early February.