- Congratulations to our marketing students for hosting the 18th annual Jim Schoemehl Run! These students worked so hard for such a great cause. Mrs. Siebe reported reported 400 registrations and $18,300 raised.
- Congratulations, ECHO staff!
JournalismSTL has released its 2019 ratings and awards.
The Echo earned a superior rating for its Online Overall.
The Echo earned a superior rating for its Print Version.
The Voices of Webster podcast earned a superior rating for Radio/Podcast Overall.
Individual awards are listed below.
Senior Trinity Madison—Broadcast Feature-- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Sophomore Jaden Fields and freshman Gant Gibson—Broadcast Feature-- Halloween brings questions about safety
Senior Gretchen Skoglund—Broadcast Feature-- Seniors share high school insights
Senior Greg Frazier--Sports Photo-- Men's Basketball wins back-to-back State championships--Cover
Senior Cole Schnell—Commentary Copy-- Unsolicited sexual photos are sexual harassment
Senior Josie Krueger—Commentary Copy-- America needs better gun control
Senior Josie Krueger—Commentary Copy-- Recent climate report predicts environmental crisis
Senior Cole Schnell and graduate Ashli Wagner—News Copy-- Students, staff, moms take action after MSD shooting
Freshman Zeke LaMantia—Portrait Photo-- Musical make-up artist tests designs
Senior Gretchen Skoglund—Broadcast Feature-- Historic Shaw Art Fair exhibits craftsmanship, culture
Sophomore Ada Foley—Broadcast Feature-- Students express beliefs about ghosts
Junior Emily Stisser—Sports Feature Copy-- Softball head coach emphasizes community
Junior Ethan Weihl—Sports Photo-- Sophomore Lauren Kelley begins her stretch of the Women’s 4×200 meters
Senior Ellie Marshall--Sports Photo-Senior captain Mason Schultz kicks ball
JournalismSTL Honorable Mention
Sophomore Maeve Taylor and junior Lindsey Bennett—News Feature Copy-- Innovative teaching styles create new opportunities for learning inside, outside of classroom
Senior Cole Schnell—News Photo-- Man challenges protesters
Senior Ethan Ryan—Broadcast News-- DECA sponsors Night in the Courtyard
Senior Trinity Madison—Broadcast Feature-- Water Polo in WG
Sophomore Maeve Taylor—Broadcast Feature-- Thrifting students find bargains, help community
Sophomore Jaden Fields--Sports Photo--Senior Dallas King and Gateway player Jemard Sykes grapple for ball
- Our Statesmen Preschool graduation was this past week. It was a very touching moment to see how excited our little Statesmen were and how sad our high school students were to see them leave. Special thanks to Diane Stromberg and all of our preschool students for a great end to their school year.
- Evelyn Trampe, Cole Schnell, Rosa Parks, Sean Mullins, Ellie Marshall and Josie Krueger have been named to the MJEA Honor Roll. To be named a member of the honor roll, individuals must have met the following qualifications:
- Student journalists who have achieved a 3.75 or higher grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) and
- Student journalists who have worked in student media for two or more years (this current semester counts as a full semester toward two years on staff)
Senior Cole Schnell won MJEA’s News Photo of the Year, and freshman Zeke La Mantia won MJEA’s Portrait Photo of the Year.
Congratulations to Patrick Lee and Ethan Weihl for being accepted to the 2019 Missouri Boys State!
Congratulations to Evelyn Trampe for being selected by her peers as the Class of 2019 Commencement Speaker! Also, Congratulations to Nicolaus Braun and Zoe Schultz for being selected as name readers at graduation, and Nakailah Shields-Robinson, Barrett Light, and Ray McIntyre for being selected as the emcees for Senior Awards Night.
- Congratulations to Ethan Ryan and the entire cast of "It's a Mystery." This was an excellent student-written play with a small cast, but the characters were rich and unique.
Donald Johnson shared, "Quill and Scroll shared its list of National Winners for its 2019 Quill and Scroll International Writing, Photo and Multimedia Contest. Students from five countries submitted 2,486 entries over all 30 categories, and judges chose 268 winning entries produced by 319 students, or National Winners. Every winning entry earns a Quill and Scroll Gold Key. ECHO winners are Sean Mullins who won second place for Blogging and Maeve Taylor and Lindsey Bennett for Audio Podcast: Series. Congratulations!
Congratulations to Miette O’Malley, sophomore, who was awarded a full scholarship through the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange to study abroad her junior year at a high school in Germany. Upon arrival in Germany this summer, she will spend about a month taking an intensive German learning course before she goes to live with her host family for the rest of the year to attend the German high school to which she’s assigned. There, she will take regular courses (math, science, gym, etc.), all taught fully in German and with German classmates. Congratulations!
Congratulations to Kara Siebe and the DECA students for their success at the DECA state tournament. Here are the results:
Tommy Koelling and Rebekah Kinworthy- 2nd Place Marketing Management Team Decision Making (Attending ICDC in Orlando)
Joe Castleman and Quinton Nehring- 2nd Place Buying and Merchandising Team Decision Making (Can’t attend due to prom)
Mario Colombo- 6th Place Automotive Services Marketing (Can’t attend due to prior commitment)
James Groenier and Ray Mcintyre- 5th Place Entrepreneurship Team Decision Making (Can’t attend due to prom)
Elaine Roberts and Mia Schechschulte- 6th Place Buying and Merchandising Team Decision Making (Can’t attend due to prior commitment)